BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums BUG SDK Eclipse tips & tricks

Subscribe to Eclipse tips & tricks  2 posts, 2 voices

Feb 20, 2008 1:51pm
Medium Bug Labs team kschultz 107 posts

I know there are going to be (probably already are) some out there in the BUG community new to Eclipse development, so I thought I’d post some stuff I found useful when I was first learning it. First off, short cut keys.

Shortcut keys:
http://tkramar.blogspot.com/2007/10/effective-e…

Also, in Eclipse shift+alt+q+h brings up a cheat sheet of the shortcuts

A lot of useful stuff can be found in Help->Java Development User Guide->Tips & Tricks

I also found just right clicking on any warnings or errors will get you familiar with the quick fix/assist easily.

One of the nice things for me is the code generation, if you right click on a class and click source (or shift+alt+s) you can get a lot of useful stuff, I use the "generate getters and setters" every time I make a class.
Eclipse will do a lot of other code generation, constructors, surrounding blocks of code with comments, try/catch blocks, and refactor code (shift+alt+r renames variables/classes, I use that a lot), all is available by just right clicking on a class or a block of code you have surrounded.

I have barely scratched the surface of it, but I have sped up my coding quite a bit from when I used Vi and g++. There is also an emacs mode if you want those keystrokes, go to Window->Preferences >General>Keys->Scheme and choose Emacs rather than Default.

Hope that helps a bit!

Feb 22, 2008 4:58am
User_img_not_found_05_med enicky 24 posts

Have been using eclipse for about 7 years or so … 4 years osgi … including embedded systems :)

Forums BUG SDK Eclipse tips & tricks