BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums BUG SDK Why phoneME and not j2se

Subscribe to Why phoneME and not j2se  4 posts, 3 voices

Jan 3, 2008 4:11am
Img_missing_medium huli 5 posts

I love this project, I’m excited with new things like Android and iPhone and when I found buglabs I got even more excited. I have a question, sorry if it has been asked:

why not using a j2se small VM and a j2se class path like openjdk, gnuclasspath or harmony ?

have you thought about the similarities with Android? could it be possible to find a way to run some applications both in android and in buglabs? not any application of course but may be some common framework?

thank you.

Jan 3, 2008 3:57pm
Img_missing_medium Shawn 14 posts

FYI I am not affiliated with Buglabs, so this is just a bystanders view of things…

While the SDK states it’s PhoneME it is the Advanced version not the Feature version. What that means is you have much of the JavaSE support, such as Classloader, awt, and some more freedom than ME.

As for Android it is a different framework type and would be difficult to model the Bug to follow it. (again personal opinion here, and maybe Ken is thinking of doing that.) IMHO the Bug and Android are for different audiences/uses.

-Shawn

Jan 3, 2008 4:57pm
Img_missing_medium huli 5 posts

I’ve read the blog post about sun and gpl but I still don’t understand why buglabs is not using j2se. The advantage would be running any java library. What is the advantage of using phoneME advanced?

The j2se classpath is big but it can be split into bundles may be not exactly OSGI bundles, but is possible to have a basic j2se classpath in the device and upload missing parts when some OSGI plugin needs it.
is there any legal restriction to do that? to split the classpath ? now sun is going to do that in their "java kernel".

And about android and iphone, I understand buglabs is not for exactly the cellphone consumers but there are a lot of applications that I think that could be shared between a cellphone like android and buglabs and it can benefit buglabs. Also android already have the UI solved.

thank you.

Jan 13, 2008 4:34am
Medium Bug Labs team kgilmer 215 posts

Hello Huli!

Great questions! We choose PhoneME out of the gate due to it being optimized for mobile devices (ARM architecture) and being relatively small in relation to full J2SE. In addition the PhoneME engineers are very helpful and responsive to the community. Of course since the BUG platform is entirely open you are welcome to build J2SE if it is more suitable. We have been working with phoneME Advanced for quite a while and have found that there really is very little difference between it and J2SE 1.4. Shawn, you bring up good points. There has been alot of interest in adapting Android to run on the BUG. I’m sure someone will figure this out eventually…

Forums BUG SDK Why phoneME and not j2se