BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Way Off Topic Just at school

Subscribe to Just at school  37 posts, 11 voices

Feb 20, 2008 1:17pm
Img_missing_medium Hawkwing6 8 posts

Geez, i’m so bored. I’m at school, in Computer Applications 2 class, and it is so easy. if anyone else can relate, please reply.

Feb 22, 2008 1:47pm
Img_missing_medium acebanana 14 posts

Dude I know EXACTLY what you are going through. Actually I am sitting right across from you. But yea, computer apps II is a rather mediocre class…. I wish they taught Java instead of old visual basic in programming….

Feb 22, 2008 2:03pm

Guy accross from you in class
I know really, Honors Programming 2 is really easy, if not as boring as this one
Feb 22, 2008 2:06pm

Computer Engineering 2 Honors FTW :)
Much more "intereactive" then playing bingo for 30 mins using email terms such as forward and reply…. I hate to have had Comptuer Apps I….

Feb 22, 2008 2:08pm
Medium Bug Labs team kschultz 107 posts

CS 220 - Data Structures - so far we haven't done all that much data structures, he has been doing intro to software engineering, but thats fine. The interesting thing is that he is doing it in Eclipse, but VERY badly. We are using the CDT plugin since it is in C++, and he is the only prof here that uses Eclipse, so everyone is grumbling about it badly. Worse yet, we run Eclipse off a central server through Sun Xterminal stations, so it is SLOW, I even hate the labs and I LIKE Eclipse. He also screws up in the lecture with it, he appears new to Eclipse. And of course he hasn't shown anyone the cool features like refactoring or debugging. I am doing something about it though because I don't want everyone turned off to Eclipse because of it, I figured out how to install it on Vista for a kid and now I'm thinking I'm going to post some instructions and ask him to pass the link along to the class.

Beyond that, the class seems good. Interestingly he is making us make our own linkedlist classes and what not and then we have to use them for the rest of the semester for all the data structures rather than the STL ones, that is not the way the class is usually taught but I like it because it forces you to learn more, you can't just make a linked list example that works in one situation and forget about it for the rest of the semester.

About the other ones:

Math 352 - Laplace/Fourier other PDE stuff, its actually a great class. I hated math until I hit differential equations and I've loved it since

Mech Engineering 202 - Design process & Solidworks, it seems alright (thats what I'm in at the moment, designing a "childs educational toy"), except that we seem to have spent more time in Excel than Solidworks so far, which is weak

Phys 245 - electricity and electronics, all the way up to OpAmps and what not,we're doing DC circuits at the moment which I first saw about 4 years ago in high school, then again in physics 1, and now again? How many times do we have to do this? Thats one to bring the laptop to.

Matieral Science 302 - more chemistry than I want, so far I have been unable to survive a lecture without falling asleep, we got it, 195 students in that class doesn't help me feel bad about it either. Thats where I am at the moment anyway, I've got drawings of crystal structure and tennis ball analogies galore whoohoo! Everyone else in my row is asleep, its rough,
Feb 22, 2008 2:09pm

Yo es muy intelligente
Yeah right, i actually liked CA1, it was really easy, and i did what i wanted

I also alternated with JROTS and CA1
Feb 22, 2008 2:13pm

What college are you guys at?

Feb 23, 2008 8:45pm

we actually are in high school

Feb 24, 2008 12:52pm

ah, I forgot that some high schools have CS programs, mine didn’t have anything

Feb 25, 2008 1:01pm

Yep :) we go to some fairly new Technology Academy. Not that much of a deal, actually half the students go for the medical academy part. That and I wouldn’t consider all of our equipment "up to date".
Eclipse is used in the SDK right? Well that’s a good thing, but half of our teachers are similar to your’s. Your Mech Engineering class sounds somewhat interesting, atleast it’s probably pretty hands on. That and I don’t exactly love science, but I passed CHemistry this year with an A, and actually did very good, trying to decide whether to take AP chem next year or AP phys. But your Phys class sounds pretty cool, once you get past the DC circuits part at least lol. Our classes aren’t really as advanced, I mean we barely talk about new hardware in my CET II class (like PCI Xpress or SLI/ whatever ATI’s version is called). More like along the A+ cert. curriculum.

I’m so going to MIT though 8)

Feb 25, 2008 1:11pm

Yea our mech engineering design classes are hands on, there are 6 over the course of the program. Freshman design is basically build stupid things with no engineering. We built a Rube Goldberg machine and a shoulder mounted water balloon launcher, but we do the "process" of design, i.e. lots of brainstorming solutions. This year design is more how to flesh out a design with Solidworks and prototype with computer controlled mills and stuff. Next year there are two that are machine design. Senior year we have a 6 credit 2 semester class where you form a group, found a company, and go do a contract job for a corporation in the area. One example of that is last year one group went to ILC Dover which is the company that makes the Nasa space suits and built a machine to test the durability of the suits in a Lunar environment.

Those classes are fun, but Dynamics, Mechanics, some of the math, that stuff is brutal. Our major has shrunk to about 1/3 of its original size already. It is kind of a love/hate relationship with the major. 2am on a Thursday with a project due the next day slaving away in your room when everyone else is going out to party? You hate it. At dinner when you hear how BS some of the majors are, you love it. I feel like I learn something every single day which is not the case for a lot of the majors in college.

This is a good little essay I read before I started college, the gist of it is that the harder the things you do in college, the more options you have after. Thats why even though I don't really want to BE a mechanical engineer, I'm taking the major, I can't find anything much harder (except Chem Engineering, but I hate chem so that wouldn't work).
Feb 25, 2008 1:51pm

haha nice, the water balloon launcher reminds me of the good old PVC pipes, and launching potatoes. Yea I figured you would have to make a Rube Goldberg machine in a engineering class though, I bet that was fun. The only problem with school is you don’t get to do the fun stuff until the end of the class/ higher levels. Like the first day of CET I was pretty boring, but the next day we actually got to test power supplies with multimeter, and then finally we took apart old IBM computers and rebuilt them in cardboard boxes (thank goodness the fire department didn’t show up) which was actually pretty fun. It was interesting when half the students kept chipping their plexi glass trying to use the dremel and drill holes in it for screws to mount the mobo to. It’s always better though to work hard I guess and be making twice as much anually as your friends who partied away their years in school and asking you if you want fries with that.

O and I didn’t get to watch your goldberg machine yet, as for some weird reason the school want to block youtube access :cry:

Feb 25, 2008 5:28pm

Yea the rube goldberg was lame we didn’t have enough time, but the water balloon launcher was a lot of fun.

Feb 26, 2008 12:49pm

I was wondering, did you have to take ANY like english or history classes? Those have to be my two my hated subjects, and I wouldn’t mind majoring in like computer engineering or something, I just don’t want to have to take english and like history the whole time while I am in college :?

Feb 26, 2008 2:27pm

Mech/Chem/Comp/Electrical/Civil Engineerings take the least of all majors here. Comp Sci is different, they have to take almost the normal amount. For me I just have to take 2 classes (6 credits) above the 300 level and I’m good, but I’m not sure what it is normally I knocked a lot of classes off with AP exams (US Gov is 3 credits, US History is 6, English Lit is 3). You would also normally have to take English 101 but I knocked it off with my SATs. All that extra time allows me to do Comp Sci & Mech Engineering where most people would only have time to do one or the other

That being said, my non-engineering classes where great. took an english class on perception of reality, so it was watch the Matrix and read Des Cartes and a bunch of sci-fi lit and write about it, it was great.I took my honors colloqium on theater and the guy who taught it had his own theater company in Philly and just won a grammy, he was a genius, I learned quite a bit about life in that class, forget theater.

I am going to take a couple history classes along the way too I’m sure, I love history & government classes, I love writing and speaking. I’m not a fan of assigned reading though I do like reading on my own time. I always find people who didn’t like history had a bad teacher, give it a shot in college with a better professor and you will probably like it. The thing that is cool about college classes is that you pick and choose. I don’t take an english 101 class, I take an english 101 class on something. I don’t take US History, I would take US History during the Civil Rights movement. When you get in depth, with a passionate prof, it is a lot more fun than trying to cram 300 years into 2 years of schooling.

I would also say if you think you want to do engineering, start there. You can transfer out of engineering into literally anything, but you can almost never transfer into engineering unless you are a math or physics major. Even going from Comp Sci to Comp Engineering is difficult. Switching among the engineerings is not hard though. I don’t know a single person in my major who came from outside of the engineerings, but I do know about 15 who went from engineering to something else when they found it was not for them.

Also it matters how the school breaks up its subjects. At our university there are colleges, and comp sci falls outside of the College of Engineering, it is in the College of Arts & Sciences. That means it has completely different guidelines for what classes to take. At some schools it goes even further and admissions is based on college, though here it is not that way. At University of Maryland you can get into the school as a non-engineer and be denied entry to the College of Engineering. I know Rutgers is that way too, possibly Penn State I don’t remember. Something to look at when it comes time to look at schools.

Feb 28, 2008 1:10pm

Ah I think I know what you mean by split up colleges. Our is has something similar to it, but ours is split up into academies. Like we have a medical academy (and you select I guess to you it would be a major, but it’s like your academy class, mine is Computer engineering), computer academy, automotive, and architecture-contruction-engineering (ACE academy) academies. And you select your academy class in your specified academy, and that one you have to pass just like your core classes. That and you can take other classes in your academy sorta like electives. But the only bad part about it is that I can’t take automotive :cry:

I really am thinking about taking AP chem next year, and AP english lit just so i can get english out of the way as soon as possible. But I have had the same history teacher for the past 2 years and he is pretty cool, the teacher does make a big difference.

Feb 28, 2008 4:26pm

Take as many APs as you can they are worth a lot and not that hard. I took several where I didn’t take the class I just bought a Princeton Review book and studied my ass off. I spent my spring break senior year studying for one all day, but I passed it and got 6 credits, thats is about $6,000 of tuition plus hundreds and hundreds of hours at school I knocked off for a $40 book and a $70 test along with 40 hours of work.

My experiance from easiest to hardest for the AP exams:
US Government
Comparitive Government
Comp Sci
Econ
Physics B
US History
English
Chem
Calc AB
Physics C Mechanics
Physics C E&M
Calc BC

Those are the ones I took except for Econ I didn’t take but know it was easy, I didn’t do languages. I did a bunch junior year (History, Physics B, Econ, Comp Sci) and the rest senior year. I came into school with about 60ish credits. That paid off in a few ones. Obviously it knocked off a lot of classes, but some you have to take again anyway (Calc) so now I just had a great background and got an A which was great. Physics C E&M isn’t required but now I have to take an electronics course and it is great background also. Plus at our school housing goes by credits, Seniors get first choice, freshman last. I came in as a sophomore so I got first choice for housing, same thing I get first choice on class schedule so last semester I had 2 days a week off and went snowboarding while all my friends had labs on those days. This semester I made all my classes start late so I can sleep in while other people have to go to 8am labs. Ap exams are a bargain in both money and time compared to school. If you don’t want to take them all, pick a major, look at what the school you are going t o takes for ap credit for that major, and crank them out in high school it will pay off huge in college. I am here for 4 years on a scholarship but some of my friends are graduating in 3 years and saving $30,000 because of $500 in AP exams.

Mar 3, 2008 1:04pm

Dang man, sounds like it is definitly worth it. The only AP class I probably don’t think I would do good in is US history. I don’t know what it is, I just can’t handle any social studies classes. But hopefully it won’t be required for computer engineering…
But yea man, sounds great but I didn’t know the AP tests cost any money, but O well. I guess its worth it compared to tuition.

Mar 3, 2008 2:05pm

You mean, of course, unless you have a great teacher like Mr. Irwin

Mar 4, 2008 12:51pm

Well ofcourse, it doesn’t matter what subject he teaches, it would be an awesome class. Now he just needs to teach US History next year.

Mar 4, 2008 2:11pm

Get the Amsco book http://www.amazon.com/United-States-History-Pre…

I don’t know anyone who got less than a 3 after reading it, the US History exam is more about writing essays than knowing history anyway

Mar 6, 2008 12:55pm

Well yesterday the lady came around helping us pick classes, and I have by tomarrow to turn in my sheet. I think I will take pre-cal honors (thats the only pre-cal they offer), Chemistry AP w/ Lab, US History AP, and English III AP. Along with some other classes like Spanish III, Networking II Linux, Gym (We only need to take it once, but I just never took it until hopefully next year XD ) and I would mind taking either Oracle DB I or that college experience class on Voice and Data cabling (i dunno know if you know what they are, its just where we leave school and go and attend the local community college instead but I think its two periods long so I might wait my senior year to do it when I have more extra space for classes. Or instead of taking Spanish III I could drop that, take the college experience class and take French I my senior year so I have two years of spanish and one year of french. That is unless colleges prefer 3 years of spanish…

I’ll definitly look into that book though. I need all the help I can get in US History :p

Mar 6, 2008 1:53pm

Wow, we didn’t have any CS or IT at all much less specifics. Colleges would usually rather see continuity like Spanish 1-3 rather than Spanish 1, German 1, French 1. However for engineering stuff we don’t have to take a language at all, I took french 1&2 in high shcool but have no plans to continue.

Mar 7, 2008 1:00pm

Alright sweet thanks, I’ve been trying to figure out which one would be better, so I turned it in today and I signed up for AP Eng III, AP US History, AP Chem w/ lab, honors pre-cal, Netoworking II Linux HNS, gym, and that College exp class on Voice and data cabling. That and if I don’t get into the college exp class then I put computer programming I and Spanish III as my alternates. But if I don’t get it I may switch one class with automotive I since (at least for the people in engineering academy) can take classes from other academies as electives. At least a guy I know signed up for IT classes since his academy class is automotive. But if I can take automotive atleast once it would be a nice skill to pick up a long the way.

But yea, our highschool is pretty sweet in terms of classes you cant take. Very nice variety :D Many possibilities and opportunities.

Mar 18, 2008 7:45am

next year I’m taking AP Calc AB, AP Eng III, and AP US History. I’m also taking Physics HNRS, Oracle Database, CET 1, and JROTC II.

Forums Way Off Topic Just at school