BUG Community

Welcome! Log In

Forums Suggestion Box Which do you prefer: Mailing List or Newsgroup?

Subscribe to Which do you prefer: Mailing List or Newsgroup?  18 posts, 8 voices

Feb 29, 2008 1:56pm
Img_missing_medium aroman 21 posts

Hi Everyone,

We would like to implement yet another form of communications for the BUG community. Currently we are discussing a BUG mailing list vs a newsgroup; which do you prefer?

Regards,
Angel

Feb 29, 2008 2:23pm
Img_missing_medium Tueksta 12 posts

rss-feed in the blog is more comfortable than those two, in my opinion, and it already exists.

Feb 29, 2008 5:13pm

Hi Tueksta,

I agree with you, however, I don’t think I was clear about the purpose of the mailing list or newsgroup. The idea would be to provide users who are developing software and/or hardware for the BUG with another method of communications similar to this forum and the irc channel.

I am interested to know if you still have the same opinion, and please vote for your preference.

Regards,
Angel

Feb 29, 2008 5:36pm
Img_missing_medium Tueksta 12 posts

i’m just wondering, why people still use mailing lists and newsgroups in 2008. there’s so many better ways to communicate already, like this forum and irc and blog comments, that it seems strange to me to add this. but if there are programmers out there who still use these, great, but i can’t give a vote for either, sry :P

Feb 29, 2008 5:47pm

Tueksta,

Fair enough ;). I should’ve added 2 more options: Both and None.

-Angel

Feb 29, 2008 7:37pm
Medium Bug Labs team kschultz 107 posts

I voted for the mailing list. I don’t think there is much advantage to a newsgroup over this forum, it will just fracture the conversation already and this forum is starting to gain traction. What do we average about 5-10 posts a day? Even if you had a favorite tool for reading newsgroups you will spend more time launching that tool than clicking the "Read all since last visit" button here.

On the other hand, a mailing list is pushed to you. I follow a forum for each of my hobbies and sometimes you just forget about them for a while if you they aren’t all that active. This was the case for some of the open source projects I follow, but the mailing list pushed to you reminds you about it (though the 80 emails from the Orca project in my inbox also says you don’t always read them). But still, just the growth of that folder in my inbox reminds me, hey check out the Orca project soon, where as if it was a forum/newsgroup I might not ever check it again if I stop following for a while.

Feb 29, 2008 8:44pm
Medium Bug Labs team finsprings 268 posts

I’d be down with a mailing list, but if there was a way to get an RSS feed from the forum that would work for me too: the "view posts since last visit" thing doesn’t seem all that reliable.

It would also be nice to get a feed from comments posted on bugnet apps – like you can get from Flickr when someone comments on your photos or marks them as a favourite. That way, if someone has a problem with an app I can get back to them in a timely fashion.

Feb 29, 2008 9:09pm

Kshultz,

With a newsgroup anyone can download all the content since message #1 irrespective of when they join the list. This is useful when someone wants to search the mailing list on the go (not connected to the web: airplane, secure lab, camping (lol), etc.). Then again, maybe there are only a handful of people like myself that would benefit from this. **Note: I know I can download the archive, but this has been painful in the past.

Most mail clients show newsgroups as a separate mailbox which creates the illusion of the messages being "pushed" to you like your e-mail.

In addition to the ability to browse all the content off-line, I’ld like the ability of using my own client and my own device; not just a web browser. Think nokia n810, blackberry, iphone, heck even a BUG. I know some devices have excellent web browsers, however, do you really prefer a web ui over the mail client for message thread viewing? This point is not in favor of either approach since both address it equally well.

-Angel

Mar 2, 2008 10:46pm
User_img_not_found_05_med wimora 10 posts

I’m with finsprings. I like the idea of a mailing list.

Mar 3, 2008 5:40pm
Medium Bug Labs team agordon 74 posts

By the way, for those of you interested in a mailing list, you can sign up at http://lists.buglabs.net.

Mar 3, 2008 5:57pm

Any chance you could turn off the "show list of subsribers" part?

I’m already getting spam from an email address I used on this forum and the email address I used on the bugzilla site. Luckily I use sneakemail.com for aliases so I was able to just delete those aliases, but of course now I won’t get bugzilla notifications until I create a new account since it uses your email address as your username.

Mar 4, 2008 7:28am

Ask and ye shall receive. The bug-dev mailing list membership listing is now only currently available to the list administrators.

Mar 4, 2008 7:35am

Thanks Al :-)

Mar 4, 2008 2:18pm
Medium Bug Labs team kschultz 107 posts

aroman
Kshultz,

With a newsgroup anyone can download all the content since message #1 irrespective of when they join the list. This is useful when someone wants to search the mailing list on the go (not connected to the web: airplane, secure lab, camping (lol), etc.). Then again, maybe there are only a handful of people like myself that would benefit from this. **Note: I know I can download the archive, but this has been painful in the past.

Most mail clients show newsgroups as a separate mailbox which creates the illusion of the messages being "pushed" to you like your e-mail.

In addition to the ability to browse all the content off-line, I'ld like the ability of using my own client and my own device; not just a web browser. Think nokia n810, blackberry, iphone, heck even a BUG. I know some devices have excellent web browsers, however, do you really prefer a web ui over the mail client for message thread viewing? This point is not in favor of either approach since both address it equally well.

-Angel

Is there a public facing way to get the archives of the forum? I see what you mean about downloading it for use offline. But if that is the only reason to use UseNet wouldn't it be better to write a program that parses the forum archive into a usenet format than split the conversation into multiple places?
Mar 20, 2008 11:05am
Img_missing_medium kitplummer 7 posts

How about using Nabble to archive the mailing list – so it is searchable, without having to download?

Mar 20, 2008 4:40pm

Not that I’m saying we could do this with our current setup, but… would anyone be interested in an RSS feed of the forums? Most ("many"? at least "some") RSS readers can cache content for offline reading.

Mar 20, 2008 5:11pm

yes

Jul 4, 2012 11:56pm
User_img_not_found_05_med zoe010711 6 posts

This can not
alone break the battle with the new articles for the manufacturersLongchamp Bags 2011
Longchamp Limited Edition
. If
the new ones consistently alloyed with the off-season onesLongchamp Gatsby Handbag

Longchamp Luggage Bags
, it
absolutely low the aplomb akin of that brandsLongchamp Briefcase Bags

Longchamp Cosmetic Bag
. So the
aperture is accepted with the manufacturersLongchamp Leather Handbag
, the
customers. The longchamp outlet accommodates all kinds of longchamp
outlet online

which advertise at a lower pricelongchamp
bags

. You can acquisition what you are absorbed inLongchamp le pliage
. It can absolutely
accommodated your needslongchamp

. So if your abridged is tightLongchamp
outlet

, why not buy bags in it.

Forums Suggestion Box Which do you prefer: Mailing List or Newsgroup?